The Morrell Quilt by Di Ford-Hall – BOM – $68/month
Please note the $270 payable here is a one-off down-payment and reflects the cost for the background fabric/pattern combo……the on-going monthly charge for this program is $68
Do you love Di Ford Hall’s designs? We do…a lot! It is with great pleasure that we can bring you another masterpiece of Di’s in an achievable high-end BOM program, with the usual inclusions, notes and assistance along the way which we know you love….plus a few other very special additions this time!…read on…..
This pattern of Di’s is her 21st century reproduction of a 19th century quilt. The Sarah Morrell Album Quilt has blocks dated 1842 and 1843. It is an album quilt in that the blocks are signed by 58 different people who lived in Philadelphia or over the Delaware River in New Jersey. The centre medallion in the original quilt is signed by Sarah Morrell, hence the quilts name.
This BOM program aims to reproduce this beautiful quilt using Di’s pattern and a combination of fabric styles from both hers and the original quilt. The colour palette will emulate Di’s version of red (including pink), brown, teal and mustardy gold, with all the numerous shades and different types of prints as Di has described and shows in her pattern. Techniques enjoyed in this quilt….applique, including broderie perse, English Paper Piecing, traditional piecing, and machine piecing. A combination of handwork and machine work are recommended.
Here is a note from Sandy on the special nature of some of the fabrics you will be receiving along the way, in your kits… I have been sourcing fabrics for a while for this quilt. Some fabrics I have acquired from reproduction textile experts in France (some of the toile prints), and some of the fabrics are from Di’s personal stash, and I thank Di’s sister Wendy, and daughter Nicci for offering me that opportunity! I am excited to share these fabrics with you, along with other more recent reproduction fabrics of course. Not all kits will be the same across all the kits in this program, as the availability of such metrage of these special fabrics, for all those kits, is impossible, but across the quilt, everyone will be guaranteed to receive at least one piece from France, and one piece from Di’s stash, most likely even more.. These will be clearly labelled in your kit. I will aim to show carefully all versions of each block to cover all varying kits so there is no doubt how/where to use your fabric in the block. I think it will be very special to have a more unique set of fabrics delivered to you, so at the completion of your quilt it will be more individual….what BOM programs offer that? Rest assured we are keen to break the moulds and put in the hard yards to bring unique and inspirational programs to you, making creating heirlooms much more achievable for you 🙂
There are varying shades of background fabrics in the original quilt due to the fact that each block was created by different quilters, and wanting to emulate that tea-dyed original quilt appeal, I have chosen one of Di’s fabrics (Andover #8929L) as the background, and I recommend tea-staining it in 3 differing shades (light to darker), so these can be mixed within the quilt. I will explain this when we start. For this reason, all of the quantity of background fabric (7m), and the very extensive pattern of Di’s will be delivered at the start of the program, and that is what you are paying for in this order ($270 + flat-rate postage). I have chosen this small pindot fabric for the background, as I think it adds some interest and it is a high quality fabric as opposed to some solids on the market, which may have been thought by some as the sensible option if tea-staining it anyway.
What other special inclusions are there?… As you may know, we do a LOT of planning for our programs, and this program is no different. We have teemed up with our papers manufacturer, Imprezzio, to have the blocks which lend themselves to the EPP method (English Paper Piecing) drawn up, and papers created. As well as this, some of the blocks are more easily created by use of applique, and for the shapes requiring it, we will include pre-printed applique paper (semi-soluble), so you can just cut, fuse and start, no tracing involved. All these inclusions are there to help facilitate an enjoyable stitching session, reducing the prep time, and ensure accuracy.
- this is a 14 month program @ $68AUD/month plus postage
- the purchase of the background fabric/pattern combo in this transaction is part of the BOM program. this will be delivered with Month One
- detailed notes, with clear photos using the fabrics in your kit, will be included each month
- all fabric for the quilt top and binding will be delivered across the program
- where relevant, EPP papers, and printed applique sheets will be included
- Each month you will create 5 x blocks, with the exception of both month 7, which will see us create the larger centre block, and month 14, where we will create the final border and bind
- Month One will mail out from 6th June 2022
- Payments for this BOM are made one month in advance as a forward payment. Before June, Sandy will be in touch to gather your card details. When the program begins, you will then be charged for Month One & Two, and we will post Month One. Each month we will keep you one month ahead with your payments and when Month 14 is ready for mailing you will not be charged as that payment has already been made. (overseas customers, please enquire as to payment options, and the possibility of posting 2 x months together to assist with postage costs if preferred)
Please note that by signing up and purchasing the background fabric/pattern combo, you are committing to purchase each monthly kit, months 1 -14, beginning in June 2022, to complete the BOM program. Cancellations will only be considered under special circumstances and the forward payment in credit will be forfeited as a cancellation fee.
Finished Quilt size 86″ square
10 in stock